Saturday, January 05, 2008

Can people forget to think?

I had a recent experience that surprised me and forced me a ask the fundamental question “can people forget to think?”.

I have a strong feeling we can forget to think! An organization that limits strategizing, planning and decision making to the elite few can result in a lame duck staff that is monotonic in every way. In particular common sense is the first to leave the individuals.

Just like muscles atrophy when they are not exercised, we forget names of old acquaintances we don’t keep in touch often enough and forget locations of items we rarely use. We can forget to think!

It is a shame, given the single differentiating criteria of humans is out ability to think and plan ahead!

My conspiracy theory buddies have presented me with a different perspective. They believe it could always be a mutiny, the sort of a rebellion to corporate policy?

May be I underestimate the power of the mind sometimes?