Thursday, October 23, 2008

Hi-Tech & Hi-Touch

In an economy where organizations want a touch less execution to drive out costs brands need a new point of view. As organization move into the Hi-Tech, they automatically transition into the Low-Touch a classic example of this experience are financial services companies and particularly credit card companies. Each time I call my credit card company, I have to sit through the frustrating automated system before I can get to a real person and sometimes that wait can be as long as 20 minutes or more. From a consumer’s perspective life is getting more and more fragmented, work, travel, home, family and friends and our patience is ever shrinking. We all want everything “NOW”, “My issues are more urgent than the next guy”, “I always have to deal with the big issues”, etc.

The fundamental question for a service brand today is – How can I be Hi-Tech and Hi-Touch at the same time while I keep my costs down?

Is Hi-Tech and Hi-Touch a paradox or the holly grail?