Thursday, July 27, 2006

Modularity - Life’s little resets!

Yesterday was a hectic day... I woke up on time but with all the little things I had to complete I was late for my train, lucky me I still made it. By the time I reached my transfer point I was back on track. Things went smooth only until I got to office and I had to put out a fire that seemed to derail my entire day’s schedule, once again lucky me half way down the day one of my meeting was cancelled and I got an hour of my ever so important life back. I was cruising just fine. On my way back home I reflected on my day all the mini crises I had to deal with, the fires I had to put out, plans I had to make and objectives I had met.

My reflection led me to the thought of resets! How modular is life, the decoupling helps and hurts. Clearly the modularity allows for those quick and easy resets in life that enable us to reload and fire. How great is that! A perfect opportunity to reset and start all over again. Not all disruptions result in the same level of resilience from life. The classic was 9-11, life was crippled for days, travelers within the US and a number of cases globally were stranded, but things eventually bounce back.

Is our modular lifestyle offering options for resets or is life just getting more resilient from all the shocks and experience?