Friday, October 20, 2006

The coefficient of restitution

All those people who ever played golf or studied advanced physics or engineering have definitely heard the term coefficient of restitution. It is a measure of a body’s ability absorb energy… boy, am I getting technical or what? Anyway the thought crossed my mind when I came across an article on work life balance and executive health. There is more to the beating most executives take above and beyond the odd work hours. It is the constant war games, small failures and much the same way small successes.

I wonder if we should have a measure of an individual’s coefficient of restitution included in one of those employment application forms. Wouldn’t it be amazing if and when the board of directors review a candidate for the position of a CEO they ask him/her how much beating can u take?

Unlike most non living things (that are assumed rigid and isotropic) I believe we humans metamorphosize, in our ability to take a beating. Call it thickening of the skin or shamelessness, net-net we do get more resilient and our coefficient of restitution goes up.

The more I think the more I agree we need a measure to evaluate our ability to rebound from setbacks.