Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Lead, Follow or Get out of the way… needs revision

A couple years ago I came across the message “Lead, Follow or Get out of the way…” on a school t-Shirt in the Coop. I felt it was a little to arrogant but on second thought it seemed fine given it presented to the reader all the options, be a leader, be a follower, or let others be. And yet I felt it to be a little too harsh.

It is not uncommon these days to run into an exec who one cannot make a decisive choice, then there are those that make choices based on some one else’s options there are those who let others make decisions for them, lastly the ones that won’t question the options or the choices. Churchill said it best, “History will be kind to me for I intend to write it”.

No corporation can ever thrive with weak leadership. I have completed the full circle; yep I accept I am a convert. The way I see it the choice is clear “Lead or Get out of the way!”