Monday, August 07, 2006

Career elasticity of growth & movement

As a marketer and strategist I often look at elasticities of my brands. In order to time events for the greatest impact, and improve my ROI, I juggle many balls, advertising, promotions, partnerships, equity alliances, etc.

During a recent review I noticed similarities between the elasticity of demand curve and careers. As marketers we never price brands on the inelastic part of the curve, because it would be stupid to leave money on the table. We are taught to be sensitive to thresholds where consumers question the benefit and price of the brand (the value). Lastly we learn to pay special attention to the gap between our price and that of our closest competitors.

I decided to apply the same principles to my career and mapped the career elasticity of growth!


 Posted by Picasa