Friday, August 04, 2006

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you – What about CANDOR?

I have always tried hard & practiced treating others the way I wish to be treated by them. Only recently I noticed something strange when a project with little merit received unanimous support, then again every project received kudos. I stopped to think what was really going on? It really struck a cord when I realized it was a case of you scratch my back and I scratch yours. BUT WHAT ABOUT OPEN HONEST TALK?

Most people are smart and intelligent but sometimes too intelligent for their own good. That’s when things back fire, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”; if you say good things about my project I will say great things about yours! Is this a cultural thing? Can our corporate cultures fix what our religious, societal cultures have indoctrinated us with? I certainly think so! The legendary Jack Welch of GE said it once reward people and behaviors that align with objectives and values and punish the ones that don’t. This applies as much to the top performers as the bottom dwellers in every organization.