Friday, April 20, 2007

Is no news really good news?

Ever transitioned from a line management role into a staff management role? The transition is like nothing else one may experience. Over the years I have my own model to evaluate a role based on the Challenge it offers, Recognition potential and Compensation to be drawn. The model is simple and effective and has helped me in identifying the tactical merits when choosing between multiple options.

I am an ardent believer in building the “Brand YOU!” and as a marketer there is nothing greater than “Brand YOU!”; Managing, promoting, positioning and communicating to a larger than life yet smart, humble, connected and personable self.

Recently I sat back to think of all those jobs and brands that present a touch point with the consumer/customer but lack the regular dialog of a consumer brand. I was reminded of all the utilities that service us-Water, Electricity, Oil, Gas, etc. How often do we call any or all to thank them for ensuring continuity of service? I certainly never do, I don’t expect many amongst us either! Yet by the same token we are the first to pick up our phones as soon as we experience an interruption.

So where is the dialog between the brand the consumer? How do I build and make myself “Brand YOU” known?

My colleagues and friends in staff roles the forecasters; the IT staff; the facilities team; etc. often face the same fate. I rarely ever call to thank them for services and yet am often the first to express my dissatisfaction when things are not right. As a marketer I have mined information from consumer affairs on what my strategic target consumers and current base likes, wants, desires and even avoids in my brands to drive my strategies but what do you do when communication is nonexistent? We have clearly raised the bar, continuity is not longer a measure of excellence and it is the datum for survival in commodity markets.

As I thought further an old english word, “EPHEMERAL” popped. Leverage the craze of the day to market yourself – Productivity improvement, Sustainability, Ecological footprint, Organic, etc. Essentially “No news can be good news” but being “NEW” and “IN VOGUE” is the only survival and differentiation for “Brand YOU!”.