Monday, May 22, 2006

Competency & Scale

Seems like I have been developing a lot of competency matrices lately… and I love it! It enables me to think strategically about the state of the business and where we want to be within the foreseeable strategic planning window.

This is clearly not the first time I set upon this endeavor, although I have developed a couple in quick successions recently. Years ago when I started working I assumed that competency matrices never change. Why should they? As a manager I needed to do certain demonstrate certain skills, I need to have them! As an analyst if I need to know a certain tool, technique and methodology I need to demonstrate it and it was assumed that I had the necessary aptitude for it. On occasions where there was a lacuna between aptitude and experience my organization would provide me with the right development opportunities.

Over time I realized things are not so clean and clear. In addition there are other business dynamics and career pathing elements that add to the complexity. As people change functions, technology and outsourcing start to take center stage the competency matrix needs evolution too!

As a new entrepreneur I believed all anyone needed to succeed was PASSION! As the environment evolves EMOTIONS need to be supplemented by a certain measurable skills, objectivity, etc. Today as scale beings to kick in… My matrices are based on functional development, project and business management and lastly organizational development. Some times it seems like drafting the tax code of the United States.