Monday, May 15, 2006

Rearview driving

Our home is set in the woods and is fairly private. One of the days when I had to back out of the driveway I realized it was not easy with my monstrous, gas guzzling SUV. I was afraid I would either hit into a tree or drive over the flower bed. Clearly the downside on the flowerbed was marginal but none the less it was damage preventive versus an upside potential on any of the options.

Our neighbor who has lived around here for over 25 years recently paid us a visit and he backed out like a pro, in a single push of his gas paddle he was half way down the drive way in his Chevy suburban. Guess it must be instinct and experience!

I started to think don't we manage our businesses the same way? "Driving with the rear view reflection"… ROI from last years events, elasticity from the prior years pricing, historical knowledge of the consumers decision preferences, the hundreds of reports that talk about what happened not what to expect.

I am just happy that the angle of incidence is the same as the ingle of reflection, there is no refraction and more importantly our brain compensates based on our experience. Guess that is why corporate America emphasizes age and experience.

There is clearly a need for C-H-A-N-G-E!