Sunday, May 21, 2006

Failed HR!

I must confess before I start that I have NO FAITH in the Human Resource and Staffing organization of most organizations! There we go… I have laid out my cards on the table.

I bet there are a lot of people out there who will agree with me on this one. Some may be willing to say but others won’t. I am unable to understand what does it take to be in Human Resources? Most HR organizations are powerless and directionless. I don’t believe any degree from any institution in the world can help change these woes?

I have innumerable issues with HR for starters the fact that the name makes the department so indifferent to people. The soul of every organization are its people and yet we compare them to ‘RESROUCES’… like buildings, equipment, etc.? What about the hiring process. You don’t hire people for a job; you hire people for their skill and their talent. I am not a fan of tactical hiring but when organizations lack the concept of succession planning tactical hiring is the solution. Even at that one needs a strong functional understanding to identify the right candidate? Automatic implication is that HR needs to be the smartest people in the room.

Conflict resolution is the last of my biggest issues… as policy police they proliferate opacity! This is not a war game, it is our people. ‘TRANSPARENCY’ is a necessity!

HR needs Simplicity, directness and clarity of communication… the only truth and nothing but the truth! To me HR is the fountain of youth of an organization; it is the spring that everyone must drink from. We need to fulfill our duties in giving back to the organizations we love! Lets fix it or move on.