Thursday, May 03, 2007

Ramotions

I don’t aspire to contribute a new word into the Oxford English Dictionary but would be delighted to introduce one into my fellow marketer’s vocabulary. Ramotion is my effort in their direction… It is a synthesis of peopl's actions based on their rationale and emotions.

With an argumentative personality and passion for reading I combine some fairly potent skills. Together they lead me to flesh new ideas, extend my thought process and point of view into new and often uncharted areas.

The best part of my passion is it helps me understand peopl's reasoning and rationalization, their hot buttons and soothers. Both as a marketer and as a leader I can present opportunities, challenges and propositions in light of “The individual” not a cookie cutter.

As reasonable as it sounds, I have come to realize Rationale is not truly RATIONAL. It is logic with a twist… We rationalize based on where we came, what we saw, our family background and sometimes even the side of the bed we wake up that morning. So why and how is it any different from emotion? I wonder? The only LOGICAL explanation I could frame up was that emotion is a short lived feeling while the long term effect of emotion filtered through a structured process is rationale. I hope I have presented my argument why Ramotion should have its due place in our vocabulary. I am hoping this is also a foundation for another argument in TARGETING at the right place and right time.

David Armano’s Logic+Emotion, has been a long time favorite blog of mine for all those things other than the specific discussion on the social element of Logic+Emotion.