Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Choosing Your Own Parents

At a recent presentation I heard a speaker comparing the idea of ‘accepting your corporate leaders’ akin to ‘accepting your own parents’. The thought got me thinking, I wondered if I buy into the concept but I guess it is true to a large extent… although with certain caveats.

I trust my parents but I will evaluate and screen every suggestion or recommendations they make! I believe it is absolutely stupid to entrust ones destiny into some one else’s hands. Not even your parents and obviously not your leaders. I do agree and accept you inherit some traits from your parents much like I have learnt a lot from my leaders, but it is eventually up to us to make the most of what we have or what we acquired! I love Mark Twain’s quote “Put all your eggs in one basket and-WATCH THAT BASKET”. If need be don’t hesitate to break the basket.

Scientifically choosing your “parents” may still be some time away and by laws of nature not sure ever really possible. I won’t say the same about my leaders…. If things get really bad disown them, change ships or better yet take reigns into your own hands (there is a lot of news on LBOs lately).