Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Emotional immaturity

When our 40th President Ronald Regan was asked “How could an actor become president?” he replied “How can a president not be an actor?” bet he was talking about emotional maturity.

Read the recent issue of Fast Company “IS YOUR BOSS A PSYCHOPATH?” Authors: Deutschman, Alan (adeutschman@fastcompany.com) Source: Fast Company; Jul2005 Issue 96, p44, 8p, 1c, 12bw, fit right in that thought process I had going with emotional maturity. There is a mention of John D. Rockefeller (the man who made the most millionaires), Henry Clay Frick, Henry Ford, Walt Disney, Armand Hammer, Harold Green, Martin Davis, Richard Snyder, Ivan Boesky, Leona Helmsley, Al Dunlap, Andrew Fastow. The list is a who’s who of business leaders.

I am only glad to notice unlike "Lessons from the Top: The 50 Most Successful Business Leaders in America and What you Can Learn from Them.", the list does not include Bernie Ebbers, Ken Lay, Hank Greenberg, Dennis Kozlowski. May be it is best said through the quote “Hind sight is always 20-20”.

Guess I beg to ask, does any one know what makes a good leader? Couple weeks ago I noticed a quote on one of the HBR articles I received that said “Leadership is action that inspires action”, is that so? Because each time I walk down the block I see a blind old lady playing a flute that some how inspires me to extend a charitable donation to her! She ought to be a great leader!