Tuesday, July 26, 2005

“The Pensive”

Couple years ago when JK Rowling introduced the Pensive in the “Order of the Phoenix”, I loved the idea. Intrigued by the sight of a bowl that looks like cotton candy maker with images inside Harry decides to take a peek into it. The kinds of things that Harry is able to view is unbelievable. At a later time Dumbledore even pulls out his thoughts with his wand and adds them to the pensive.

I thought to myself wow! How creative is that.

The pensive reminded me of my diary I used to write. A couple years ago my better half introduced me to Adrian Mole the series by Sue Townsend, I have always a been a huge fan even since but just the word pensive is so profound.

I wondered how can corporations use the concept of the ‘pensive’? Do we do it today? How? …and it dawned on me! KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT!

The processes, the best practices, archives of experiences both successful and failures have got to help us avoid get better at everything we do. Although JK Rowling’s concept of the pensive was only a repository of thoughts to clear up the mind.