Tuesday, July 05, 2005

We know more than we ever did?

I was thinking about things like Product life cycles, Business analysis, Business negotiation, Business strategy, Human adolescence, PMS in women, Midlife crisis in men and women, etc.

Why did we need to know all of these things?
How are we better from knowing about them?
Why the sudden need to know?
What did we do in their absence?
WHAT CHANGED?

Ever so new products have be launched with the intent of gaining larger and larger market share and greater profits, businesses have be compared and contrasted, performance has be measured, regulations met, Fundamentals of bartering have remain the same, creative new tradeoffs developed and compromises made. Don’t remember my mom ever complaining about PMS to my dad? I will do the same thing with my kid when he is an adolescent that my parents did with me. As an adult in midlife crisis I will look for the same gratification that my friends, colleagues and parents did.

SO WHAT CHANGED?

The only things I know that changed are resources!
- We have limited resources and we need to be wise in allocating them against the needs and wants.
- As businesses uncovered gold mines more and more have made a rush to get a piece of the pie. With the advent of the internet there is abundance of data for the consumer and share holders to review compare and contrast thus making it essential to perform.
- Lastly with governments protecting interests of their citizens and special interests have established limits and quotes, created regulatory pressures and trade barriers.

I am not sure we know more today but we have certainly become smarter when talking about it.