Wednesday, July 13, 2005

USD $180 Billion = 25 Years

I felt great this afternoon in the fitness center. Not just from the exercising but from the news. The thought of a judge assessing $180 Billion to 25 years leads me to believe the amount equates to the years of service it could take an individual to earn that amount. Wow there is hope! I guess my dreams of grandeur are not inflated.

No this was not an exercise in time value of money, or an individual’s purchase parity or assessment of the economy based on personal income, Bernie Ebbers’ sentencing was being discussed on Dollars and Sense.

What a coincidence just this morning the World Bank released GDP numbers by countries. I took the liberty to check those numbers and compare them with the $180 Bn figure. It turns out that only the top 30 countries have a GDP greater than $180 billion with Ireland at $183.56 Bn. I also started to wonder of the poorest countries how many would it take to add up to a cumulative GDP of $180 Bn? That is 74 of the world’s poorest countries with Macao, China at the top of the list with a GDP of $6.765 Bn.

Just gets me wondering how much power do corporate executives control to execute such an enormous embezzlement of funds? Certainly intrigues me!