Thursday, July 07, 2005

Goals & Process

With my travels I go through I often have plenty of time to sit at the airport and think about things, pretty much any and everything. Recently my thoughts got me wondering how we make plans to visit friend and family or even just vacation and suddenly the destination is all we crave for. All that matters from there on is the GOAL! But this time the process of getting there is not much more than a hurdle.

…But isn’t that true of everything? I remember my very first resume. The objective on the resume was an inflated “I want to BE so and so…”, “I want to DO so and so…” and each of those jobs a couple years into would begin to seem like a drag. I wanted to get to where I wanted to be but not the usual torques route.

Today I feel a lot more matured as I sit back and think all the big and small things I did in those roles. The goals I delivered against, the growth I contributed to, productivity I improved and lastly people I made happy.

Could it be that the process is the goal?