Thursday, July 07, 2005

Priorities?

Each time I take my SUV to the gas station I wonder, if I should just get myself one of those hybrid cars? Not that I drive too much, I take public transport for heavens sake. I can certainly afford the gas, but I still feel I could do my part for the environment. More importantly the government is offering huge TAX rebates… and it all eventually adds to our own wellness!

Talk about wellness and you cannot resist thinking about healthcare plans today. I have read articles comparing healthcare companies to financial firms especially with the financial stewardship that the consumers are being empowered with. But there is a fundamental problem with the way people think about healthcare and wellness!!!

The concepts on healthcare are obviously messed up. For example I eat out quite often and find it unusual that a good self serve salad costs as much as a regular entrĂ©e on the menu? At times the salad dressings are fattier than some of those fried meaty burgers? Corporations will invest in programs offered by healthcare companies to track regular checkups and monitor known conditions but don’t offer a fitness program? Healthcare companies evaluate the fitness conscious with the guy next door alike? There are no tax rebates for my gym membership? Any meetings we attend today that are catered typically have donuts, soda and high sugar and fructose concentrated juices and this is the same corporations that are trying to cut healthcare costs?

I could just go on and on with that list. I think the bottom-line is it’s time to revaluate our priorities and that includes gas prices and the health and wellness of our citizens.