Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Bureaucracy is structure

I don’t know of one individual who likes bureaucracy? If you do drop me a note I would be interested… in any case what is it about bureaucracy that we HATE? I started to wonder and like most other things in my life made a list.

  • Checking in
  • Checking out
  • Delays
  • Authority
  • Lost productivity/creativity
  • Unnecessary baggage

Oh I could go on and on and on….

But bureaucracy is organization! My list above is an organization to my thoughts, plans to do things in an orderly fashion and planning them out is organization. Bureaucracy is order!

Why and when did bureaucracy turn into a negative term? As individuals we all like order, often times we become slaves to this order. It’s this ‘slavery’… the over dependence on a need for order that gives rise to bureaucracy