Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Fear of the benchmark!

Change is not easy, we have heard that a million and a half times! To the contrary a recent change I went through was GREAT. I am not just saying it but I mean it, the part that uncomfortable was the paranoia caused from my baggage. No I am not talking about inflection curves from Andy Grove’s, Only the Paranoid Survive. I am talking about the paranoia of “the known”. Am I beginning to sound stupid? but seriously… I mean paranoia of the knowing someone who is the very best that you cannot mimic no matter what you do and how hard you try!

It is the fear of the peak in front that looks insurmountable causing one to mock and poke holes! It is the fear of the benchmark. The manifestations of fear are even worse!

Why the fear? No one said a benchmark is the best strategy but the reverse is not true either