Thursday, June 01, 2006

Shadow Magic

I am a huge fan of the international films. A couple years ago I watched a Chinese movie called Shadow Magic, an interesting story about the introduction of motion picture in China. The story revolves around an enterprising Englishman and a young Chinese photographer brought together by fate and inquisitiveness. The crux of the story is conflict with tradition and triumph of ingenuity.

In any case this is not a movie critic I don’t think I was cut out for it, nor do I have much interest in it. I just like the pun that is life! I am just playing on the words like always, SHADOW MAGIC, bait and switch… Can’t think of a better way to talk about it would playing it out.

Metrics and measurements always fascinate me. Twain said it better than anybody else.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Autobiography of Mark Twain

In school we studied ‘causality’, it takes a smart statistician combined with a sharp social scientist (Levitt is clearly a rarity) to interpret numbers… Performance scores, success measures are quite the same. I cannot count the number of times I have seen people measure and interpret the way it looks best versus the way it really should. It is Shadow Magic! Although nature always has the last laugh, Darwinism I guess… what else?