Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Create an imperfection and leveraging it

I grew up learning that imperfections were a bad thing. Our parents, our teachers and almost everyone is always trying to fix something or the other. They are always trying to fill some void somewhere… “You don’t read fast enough”, “You don’t chew your food”, “Improve your hand writing”, “Improve your vocabulary”, I could go on and on… As I grew I realized I there was no way I could do all those things right… I am sure there are others more immaculate than me but there is an equal likelihood of those like me. What a novel idea I thought… imperfections as an opportunity to serve!

A marketer will tell you it’s your differentiation strategy… an economist will tell you it’s your leverage strategy.

Each time I hear some one say, every business there is to be built has been built. I say, you aren’t looking hard enough! If an opportunity does not exit, create an imperfection and leverage it.