Friday, June 30, 2006

Job Enlargement & Job Enhancement

I was recently thinking about ‘Job’? Job enlargement vs. Job enhancement? Is one a scope issue vs. a quality issue? I decided to explore and conduct a literature survey to better understand.

My searches lead me to Mintzberg… Mintzberg talks about horizontal expansion of the job, where additional tasks are added to ones portfolio while at the same skill level. The variety in the job enables the individual to learn, stay excited and avoid boredom. Mintzberg refers to this as Job Enlargement!

Mintzberg talks about the vertical expansion of a job which results in increased responsibilities and elevation in role (increase in prestige and visibility). He calls it Job Enhancement. I finally confirmed my hypothesis, enlargement vs. enhancement is truly a scope vs. quality issue respectively.

Thanks to the 20 some emails I receive each day offering to enhance or enlarge anatomical parts of my body… Inspirational I tell you!