Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Are some people more imaginative than others?

CPG companies have a strong marketing prowess. I guess the maturity of market and the business model makes it essential to throw in a curve ball "Brand Management". Through a touchy, feely, discipline of Marketing.

So are marketers more imaginative than others? One would argue YES! They ought to be! They need to understand the pulse of the marketplace. They need to strategize.

Personally I have tough time knowing where my girl friend wants to go for dinner on Friday night, that’s after have been with her for over five years. But I guess if I had about 50 girl friends at any time and took them all to an expensive Italian place for dinner with lovie, dovie message from an advertising agency through out the week about “how it would make them look thin from eating Italian food” I would be able to convince at least 25 of them to join in? And guess what if I threw in a free pair of shoes with the dinner, I guarantee to please at least 10-15 more. I might do better than Heffner with his 6-7 bunnies.

I had to have learnt this some where? Understanding my Equity, relevance of the products to my consumer base I am targeting, leveraging the appeal of one product with the other (my appeal through the shoes and dinner deal), message clarity to connect with my consumer base and lastly creating energy and excitement through timely messages so they never forget the event and plan on attending. May be a B-School?

Yeah Right! Just open your mind and read Aaker, Kotler, etc.