Thursday, June 16, 2005

Do we think more (sometimes flawed) than we should?

I was at an event recently hosted by our public library, there were all kinds of books on sale. One caught my attention “Executive Etiquettes”, I started scanning through it and started to ruminate over the content.

When did handshakes transform their meaning from what they were really meant to be?
· Strong hand shake
· Second hand to express confidence
· Holding the hosts elbow during the hand shake to mean I am powerful and ready to support you
the list does not end! Newer dimensions of measurements are great! They open up an opportunity for imagination. BUT shouldn’t we also establish a scale to measure diminishing marginal utility for each measurement that is introduced? The system places the burden of proof on the individual who introduces it, do people know this?

I had the opportunity to start my career in microelectronics, this may sound uncanny but microprocessors are the simplest devices on earth. Anything that has no brain to think on its very own is a simple device/system! Any way when one part of the device communicates with another part, the receiving part sends a handshake signal back.
So the handshake is no more than an acknowledgement! It is an acceptance of your signal and a response to say ‘I hear you and accept your existence’. I will now interpret your message and act on it.