Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Demigod!

I was in an interesting discussion this afternoon with a colleague. She was venting.

I felt sorry for her. Our discussion revolved around capabilities of people or lack of it. I started to think of some people I had worked with. The word that came to mind was “Demigod”. I thought it must be the GRE word list kicking in.

Immediately when I had a spare moment I looked the work on Google. Wikipedia had a description. A "demigod", a "half-god," is a modern distinction, often misapplied in Greek mythology. A "demigod" is meant to identify a person whose one parent was a god and whose other parent was human, such as the heroes of Greek mythology.

I began to wonder why did I think of demigods? One thought lead to another and I perched on a quasi static one ‘the frame of reference’. The datum, the base line, the frame of reference can be a very important concept. Gods and Monsters are a figment of this frame of reference. So where does a demigod fit in? I guess towards the god end of the spectrum.

In the absence of eugenics, some of these human exceptions have to be demigod how else can we explain them?